To take the NCLEX examination, you will first need to complete two separate processes:
- Contact your board of nursing and request a licensure application.
- You will pay a licensing fee to the board of nursing along with the submission of your application materials.
- Licensure applications must be obtained from the board of nursing in the state/jurisdiction where you are seeking licensure, as requirements vary from board to board.
- Obtain a copy of the online NCLEX® Candidate Bulletin or by calling the board of nursing.
- Register with Pearson VUE (the testing vendor) using one of the following methods:
- Online – Visit http://www.pearsonvue.com/nclex and choose one of two payment options: credit card or certified check/cashiers check /money order. (When registering online using the pay by certified check/cashiers check /money order option, you will need access to a printer).
- Phone – Call Pearson VUE NCLEX Candidate Services at 866.496.2539 and pay the $200 by credit card.
- Mail – Obtain a registration form from your board of nursing and enclose a $200 certified check, cashiers check or money order (no personal checks accepted).
Please Note – All $200 certified checks/cashiers checks/money orders should be made payable to the National Council of State Boards of Nursing. This is separate from licensure fees for your board of nursing.
Links to all boards of nursing websites and contact information are available on the Contact a Board of Nursing page.
For more information about the registration process, please visit the Registration Information page.